Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sudah makan?

I am so tired of being asked if I've already eaten. In any given lunch period (between 11 and 12), I run into maybe 25 teachers, of whom at least 15 or 20 ask me "Sudah makan?" "Silakan!" "Eaten?" "Please eat," or "I am eating."

I guess what bothers me is that it's none of their business whether I've had my meal yet or not. I am well-fed, everyone knows how big a deal I make of every meal we share, and furthermore we all know I have a pretty high salary and can thus afford to never be hungry.

Although all but the poorest individuals have a solid 3 meals a day, I think this place is so used to lack and need and want that if there is plenty, they want to make sure no one's been left out.

That, or I'm just ornery.

No comments: