Thursday, August 21, 2008

Internet in Indonesia...and hot water too

I'm beginning to see how much I have taken high-speed internet for granted when I was in the States and in England. I've spent the past forty minutes trying to figure out how to open my Mac Word document (a blog post I wrote last night) on the computer in this internet cafe with no success. It takes close to five minutes just to open the GoogleDocs site, if it opens at all. So all my first impressions of my new city will have to wait until another time, until I can save the post in another format. I wonder if it was a mistake to buy a Mac this year in a country where PCs are everywhere.
Regardless, I still love my new house and my new street and I survived my first cold shower of the year. It was unpleasant, but it defininitely forces one to cut down on water consumption (and in Indonesia, homeowners are billed for their water usage every month, so this is good for me financially.) It's also nice to have the option of doing a hot-water mandi. On my first night in the house, my Ibu (teaching counterpart) boiled me three pots of hot water, put them in my mandi and added some cold, and I was able to bathe with hot water by dipping a pan/scooplike tool into the tub/bucket of water and ladle it on to wash. It felt pretty amazing. I will be doing that in the future whenever the two and a half minute cold water shower drives me crazy. If nothing else it gives me a small taste of how the majority of the world bathes. Hot water is a luxury everywhere but the West.
I've discovered a new way of enjoying coffee: it's the way most Javanese coffee is prepared. I boil some water, put a few spoonfuls of ground coffee in a glass or mug, add the boiling water, stir, let the grounds settle to the bottom, and enjoy. It is phenomenal. Also, regarding hot drinks: Indonesian black tea is far superior to western black. I can't describe it, except I might say that it tastes similar to Asian green tea in that it has a leafy/ nutty taste. Teh manis (black tea with a lot of sugar in it) is also amazing. For some reason sugar also tastes much better in Indonesia. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's made domestically? I also noticed that the tofu and tempeh I bought at the Wal-Mart-like grocery store was grown and packaged in my city. How often does that happen at a chain grocery store in the States? I like it.

I woke up this morning covered in mosquito bites, mostly on my face and arms. They don't really itch, but man are they ugly.

Aside from putting in a few hours of bahasa practice, my only obligation today is to visit the school at three for their annual August 17th (independence day) party. August 17th was five days ago.

No comments: